Gout is a disorder characterized by inflammatory condition of joints. The root cause of gout is faulty metabolism of uric acid. Gout springs from either excess production of uric acid in the body or from the body's inability to eliminate it. Uric acid builds up and crystallizes, followed by deposition of the crystals in joint fluid. This leads to bouts of inflammation, pain, heat, redness and swelling of the affected joint. White blood cells surround the uric acid crystals and give out chemicals that promote inflammation of joint in case of gout.
Gout may be primary or secondary. Secondary gout is associated with some other underlying illness or may be the result of certain medications. Sudden changes in uric acid levels foster attack of gout. Middle aged people are susceptible to gout. Gout can invade both men and women; but men are more affected by gout when compared to women. Knee, toe, ankle, elbow are usually affected by gout. Insomnia, fever and loss of appetite are the other symptoms of gout. The causes of gout may be listed as follows:
3. Consumption of oily and high protein diet
5. Hormonal imbalance
9. Iv contrast dyes
11. Nose and throat diseases
13. Drugs like aspirin, diuretics, nicotinic acid, hypertension drugs, cyclosporin A, probenecid etc.
Home Remedies for Gout
1. Consume 3-4 raw garlic seeds daily to get relief from gout.
2. Live on fruit diet. Consume apples, grapes and bananas in plenty to eliminate excess uric acid from your system.
3. Add 3-4 teaspoons of honey and 3-4 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar into a glass of water and take thrice a day. This is an effective home remedy for gout.
4. Consume 10-20 cherries daily to get rid of gout.
5. Eat strawberries in plenty, for strawberries neutralize uric acid and relieve gout.
6. Soaking in a tub of lukewarm water mixed with apple cider vinegar is an effective cure for gouty inflammation and pain.
7. Mix 4 tablespoons of vinegar and 8-10 rose petals. Boil the mixture and then massage affected joints with it. This lessens pain and swelling.
8. Boil a mixture of 60 ml vinegar and water, add 1 teaspoon black pepper. Massage aching joints with the mixture to get relief.
9. Mix 1 ounce of olive oil and 5 drops of juniper oil. Massage gouty joint with the mixture to diminish pain and inflammation.
10. Boil 3-4 cabbage leaves to soften them. Once all water has drained out, wrap the leaves in muslin and place on gouty joint. Keep for few hours. Repeat the treatment 4 times a day. This is an effective gout pain relief remedy.
11. Drink a mixed vegetable juice of carrot, beet and French beans. This is beneficial in treating gout.
Read more Home Remedies for Gout. Also know useful Home Remedies for Arthritis. Read effective Home Remedies for Cough.